Saturday, June 7, 2008

June 2, 2008


We helped shower the campers in the morning then had Pole Position which was a free choice activity for the campers. I went with a camper to Adam’s Race Shop where we played NASCAR games as a team, I held down the gas and he steered the car. There were also a few old cars in the shop and a place for the kids to take off a tire like a pit crew member. I found some racing gear and got dressed up which was a big hit with the kids (some who I think thought I was an actual driver) and took lots of photos.

After breakfast we went to Turn 1 which was the woodshop for our cabin. The boys made some wood cars and painted them. Turn 2 was archery which was neat because it was the first time for many of the campers. Following lunch was the much needed “Recharge”/ nap time for the campers. When we woke them up one camper got into his wheelchair and whacked his foot pretty hard on one of the dressers and said “good thing I can’t feel my feet – man that would have hurt.” It gave everybody a good laugh. We then went to the water park on site where two of the campers passed the deep end swim test. This was pretty impressive considering they had to do a lap in the pool and tread water and did it all with only their arms.

After dinner, a camper had an accident which we had to take him to clean up in the bathroom. I was doing better this time with everything until as I stepped out of the stall another camper came in the bathroom barfing. Between the two, I nearly started to blow chunks myself but was luckily able to hold it in. We ended up having to shower the camper and then went to the late night activity which was bowling. They had ramps set up for the campers to be able to push the ball down it from their chairs which made for a memorable night for them all. My long legs also came in handy when I played a racing game with a camper in the bowling alley this time using my left leg to hold down his gas petal and my right leg stretched to mine so we could race each other.

1 Comments:

At June 28, 2008 at 3:24 AM , Blogger Beth Pagan said...

HEY!

I was just catching up on your blog and am very impressed with how you handled the barf and other mess...it takes a strong guy to do that!

Sounds like you are having fun and I can't wait to catch up at the end of the summer!

Peace,

Beth :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home