Saturday, June 7, 2008

May 31-June 1


Where do I even begin to describe this amazing experience? I just finished my first Hole in the Wall camp which was Victory Junction in North Carolina. Let’s start from the beginning with the twenty minute plane ride from Charlotte to Greensboro. I sat next to the cutest 92 year old lady on the smallest plane ever where the propeller was literally less than 4 feet away from my head. I literally couldn’t even hear myself think. The lady told me when we landed “I didn’t even know they made these anymore... I felt like I was in World War II.”

Okay, now to the camp. My first impression of camp was it looked like a giant toy store or amusement park. I felt like I got the Golden Ticket and was one of the few who got to go to Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. After a few hours of volunteer orientation, I went off camp to an awesome ice cream shop with a few of the full time staff. I had an amazing peanut butter Carmel cookie dough waffle ice cream cone (my new fav ice cream).

THE CAMPERS ARE COMING!!! Before the campers arrived the next day a few of the full time staff put together a worship service (it was Sunday). This was an awesome experience with over 35 people in attendance just to see how many other Christians were led to the same place to serve. My cabin (Talladega- BLUE Unit) had five of the oldest campers (13-15). Speaking of Talladega, Victory Junction is completely NASCAR themed and was founded by the Petty’s (just FYI). It was Spinal Bifida week and from even the first camper I met I was amazed. This camper who was wheel chair bound and paralyzed from the waist down could hop out of his chair and do push ups with his body completely vertical in the middle of the room. The same camper could also pull himself up to the sink and balance on the edge of the sink on his torso with his legs dangling and wash his hands.

Later that day during the session opening we had our first camper bathroom accident (#2). Although I was certainly more than willing to clean the camper up they definitely didn’t cover that in orientation. To make the story even better about mid-way through the clean up all the lights went out. We waited there in the dark for a few minutes thinking the power must be out then finally realized the lights were on a timer and went and reactivated them. You quickly learn that humor is the best thing to use to help lighten up the experience and pass time. Admittedly, I gagged twice and now have a new appreciation for all parents (at least those that change diapers). Thanks Mom and Dad for all those dirty diapers you cleaned many years ago!

1 Comments:

At June 16, 2008 at 12:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe you got to go to a Victory Junction Camp!! I've heard all about it for years and they usually showcase some of the kids that go to the camps at some races. Nice job buddy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home